Oi. I just spent the past eight hours writing curriculum. The good news is that I have all of my regular classes’ work mapped out for January. The bad news is that it took a lot longer than it should have to get it done.
Between my past teaching experience (in a school so devoid of resources that I had to design all of my teaching materials myself) and Zaphod’s utter contempt for teachers who rely too heavily on textbooks for their lesson plans, I’ve picked up a bad habit of reinventing the wheel without first bothering to look for any prefabbed resources that might fulfill whatever objective I’m targeting with a particular lesson.
This means, of course, that I wasted the better end of two hours designing worksheets tonight before I opened the comp textbook to find an entire chapter full of exactly the same kind of exercises. D’oh!
Ah, well. On the up side, I’ve got a month’s worth of lessons ready for five of my classes, they’re generally better than the ones I used first semester, and now that I’ve gotten a better handle on the resources at my disposal, I should be able to plan the remaining four months’ worth of lessons a lot faster. Oh, and I cleaned the kitchen, living room, and bathroom while I was procrastinating on my schoolwork this afternoon, too. Not bad for a lazy Sunday….
Hope your evening was at least as productive as mine.