Things I have learned during the past week and a half:
1. A referee’s whistle will silence a noisy classroom instantaneously.
2. If you want active participation in class, Starburst fruit chews are worth more than gold.
3. But not necessarily worth more than miniature Snickers bars.
4. It’s really fun to write notes to parents, telling them how awesome their kids are.
5. It’s not really fun to write notes to parents, telling them that their kids are acting up in class, but it definitely gets the kids’ attention.
6. If your job involves a lot of standing, Crocs are the best shoes ever invented.
7. Before lunch, the average 15-year-old has an attention span of approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
8. After lunch, the average 15-year-old has an attention span of approximately 15 to 20 seconds.
9. The average 15-year-old is simultaneously the most endearing, entertaining, and maddening creature you will ever care to meet.
(I think I knew that last one, but I’d forgotten.)