Who says you can’t do any gardening in January? Ron pulled out dead tomato vines and burned them today while I was harvesting seed from some wild morning glory vines that have been trying to take over the yard. Instead of fighting weeds, I’ve decided to embrace them wholeheartedly and use them for my own fell purposes — chief among which is the creation of a dragon.
Step one: Pound two-foot lengths of PVC pipe into the ground to act as supports for strategically placed garden stakes — a pair of three-foot plant holders with a loop at the top, and a pair of six-foot spiral stakes.
Step two: Take a can of green spray paint to some terra cotta pots. I used a pair of 10-inch azalea pots and a pair of four-inch standard pots:
Step three: Remove enough soil to half-bury the standard pots — tipped onto their sides — a few feet in front of the stakes. These will serve as nostrils:
It doesn’t really look like a dragon yet, but if you squint a little bit and think about spring, you can tell how it will look when the azalea-pot eyes are painted and installed and the whole area has been planted in false strawberry, wild morning glory, and maybe a bit of liriope:
While I was running around to various lumberyards and garden centers this afternoon, I picked up a new birdfeeder for the pergola:
I also found time to hang up the new Green Man and relocate the old one to a place of honor near the sun-face birdfeeder on the front of the garage:
(Look — magic light! Everything is prettier just before sunset….)
That’s not bird poop on the feeder; we just forgot to take it down when we were painting the garage a few years ago, and I haven’t had time to pull it down and hose it off.
Not bad for a day I’d originally planned to waste. I’ll probably spend this evening making a batch of minestrone soup, painting my dragon’s eyes, and working on my KISS Army lawn gnomes.
Have a cozy Sunday evening, wherever you are.